Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult


Diana's life is almost perfect. She is about to make an art acquisition that will earn her a promotion at Sotheby's. And on a planned trip to the Galapagos Islands, she expects her boyfriend Finn to propose. But then, there are rumors of a new novel virus starting to hit the US and Finn, as a surgical resident, is needed in his NY hospital. He urges Diana to go anyway... she'll be safe from the virus on an island. But she arrives on the island as everything is shutting down, and she becomes dependent on complete strangers for her very survival. Meanwhile the messages from home become more desperate and grim as Finn is on the frontlines working directly with covid patients.
I was so excited when I was invited to review this book from one of my favorite authors! A lot of this book hit close to home for me. As a CNA on the rehab unit in a nursing home, I was there when everything started to shut down. We kept Covid at bay for months but then the inevitable cases started to show up. I remember the terror of bringing this deadly virus home to my loved ones, so I was isolated and stressed for months. I worked directly with the covid patients with limited PPE. When I caught Covid, I remember even walking from the chair to the bathroom was exhausting and took my breath away. I was off work for 7 weeks trying to recover. This book covers the most terrifying and depressing details of the pandemic, but also the moments of hope and triumph.
I received an advance reader copy of this book through NetGalley. The views and opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Something Happens to Me by Alex Finlay

It's been five years since the night Allison was taken, Ryan's only memory of the car door yanked open, then blackness until he wok...